Saturday, June 19, 2004

Happy father's day, Mary

When I first read this headline -- Websites accuse U.S. vice-president's lesbian daughter of hypocrisy -- I thought it wasn't fair for gay activists to expect a daughter to publicly oppose her father's beliefs. However, reading the story, it notes that Mary Cheney is a director in the Bush-Cheney reelection campaign organization. So I think that does make her fair game.
She is gay, yet she is working to help reelect the administration which wants to make her a second-class citizen. Either she is profoundly conficted about her own sexual orientation, which I don't think is the case, or she is profoundly cynical that the gay-banning amemdment is just a meaninless political gesture pandering to the religious right, an attitude which certainly disrespects the US constitution. Either way, I wonder what she and her dad will talk about this father's day.

No comments: