Monday, September 05, 2005

The innocents

For me, personally, I think the worst piece of video I saw all week was one where an elderly man was taken off a roof by a boat -- and his dog was left behind. To starve, or to drown, I guess.
The dog stood there in the sun watching as the boat left.
Why would I get upset at the abandonment of a dog, when so many people died? Maybe because in some essential way the dogs are the ones most innocent. We people have some capacity to act independently, to decide what to do, to leave or to stay. Our dogs do not -- they are just with us, accepting whatever we decide for them, remaining loyal and steadfast. Its terrible when the faith they have in people is betrayed, however necessary such a choice is.
This CNN story talks about how horrible this week has been for pet owners: Evacuees anguished at leaving pets behind It quotes one rescuer saying "One woman told me 'I've lost my house, my job, my car and I am not turning my dog loose to starve,"
A CTV story last week covered a group who were hiding in an apartment in New Orleans. One of the people there was a man with three dogs -- they swam together through the flooding for 12 or more hours until this group of people found them. He was crying when he talked about how he did not know what he would do next but he would not be separated from his dogs.
Yes, I agree.
My husband and I talked this week about disaster plans, and front and centre we agreed we could never make a plan which did not include our dogs.
Two sites I will be checking: the ASPCA has a hurricane diary where they keep people informed about their shelter activity. And Petfinder.com is posting reports on how animals are doing. They have crews out looking for standed animals.
Maybe they rescued that dog off that roof. I can hope, can't it?
Three score and ten are given to man,
But ours is a much briefer span.
So, though I give you all my heart,
The time will come when we must part.
But all around you, you will see,
Creatures that speak to you of me;
A tired horse, a hunted thing,
A sparrow with a broken wing ...
Pity - and help (I know you will)
And somehow, I will be with you still;
And I shall know, although I'm gone,
The love I gave you lingers on.

(- author unknown)

No comments: