Thursday, January 05, 2006

Advertising

Well, this could be fun.
When I was going through the template page on Blogger the other day, I noticed that they now have a button where you can click to have Google advertising on the site. So I thought about it and did some reading about it, too.
The downside, I guess, is if I start "editing" myself just to get ads -- like, running stories about Garden Equipment I Really Really Like just to attract an ad from the XYZ Fertilizer Company.
So let me know if you think I am doing that.
Or maybe you really do want to know about Restaurants I Really Really Like?
But on the upside, I have sometimes wondered what this is actually "worth" as far as this blogging thing goes. I keep seeing other bloggers who ask for donations and have these PayPal clicker buttons on their site -- I think its sort of like buying a newspaper subscription, I guess. Going with ads on a blog is more like radio or TV, where they make their money based on the ads they sell rather than on subscriptions. The way these Google ads work is that every time someone clicks on an ad on my site, I would get some percentage of that ad's revenue (with some protections in place to catch me if I do all the clicking myself!)
But if there really are readers who like what I am saying -- and who therefore start clicking on the ads for the Craft Supplies I Really Really Like -- well, its one way of establishing value, I think.
So we'll see how it goes. The first ad on the site was for a Katrina relief fund, so that's something I can support, actually.
Let me know what you think, folks.

No comments: