Tuesday, June 03, 2014
Even though Nigel Wright did give Mike Duffy $90,000 to pay off his Senate debt, and even though it is illegal to bribe a senator, the RCMP did not bring charges against Wright because...
well, because firstly, it wasn't actually a bribe anyway because what could Duffy possibly have given Wright in exchange?
And because secondly, the payment would have been legal as long as Harper had approved it.
Or at long as Wright BELIEVED that Harper had approved it.
Though apparently there could be no actual evidence that Harper had approved it since Harper knew nothing, NOTHING, about it and the RCMP has seen "no evidence to suggest that the Prime Minister was personally involved in the minutiae of these matters."
Now, describing $90,000 as "minutiae" strikes me as a bit of a stretch, particularly during last spring when there was a perfect storm of media coverage of everything Duffy all day every day.
But never mind. I think I've got it.
Recommend this Post at Progressive Bloggers | 4 comments
.. the underlying moral of the story is ..
we are caught stark naked in public ...
There are different rules for those in government
versus the rest of us, the dim, great unwashed
ie the electorate & those we are raising or caring for
Plus.. there are special, arcane exceptions, immunities, evasions, dodges and thousands of lawyers to serve those in government, plus agencies & layers of technical, advisory, consulting, lobbying & 'vested interest' support etc.. not to mention the same layers of political party support
As we get 'educated' or schooled by The Harper Party Government regarding Nigel, Duffy, RCMP, Senate & any complicit partisan media reportage..
we also get to see the Michael Sona 'trial' commence without Ken Morgan.. a mysterious 'Maddie', no Arthur Hamilton, no Jenni Byrne or Ray Novak
Its not The Emperor Stephen Harper who's stark naked in public.. Its Canada and Canadians who have been stripped naked.. and are being jeered at by mr Harper, his MP's, his PMO, his Party apparatchiks, his corporatist partners, donors, enablers and apologists & trolls, data miners, live & robocall service bureaus, pundits... and lawyers
A Canadian politician recently said that Stephen Harper is playing all of us for fools.... TRUTH..
Nigel Wright should have been charged because, attached to the free cash, was a deal to interfere with the Senate leadership, Tkachuk and Stewart Olsen, and get them to launder Duffy's audit report.
Nigel Wright was not charged because:
1. The Royal Conservative Mounted Police has been a partisan agency of our prime minister since Zaccardelli skewed the election that ousted Paul Martin by inventing the mid-election Ralph Goodale scandal.
2. The current commish, Paulson, tipped his hand in an e-mail to all his senior officers (leaked to CBC) absolutely forbidding them from having any social or other contact with the media or opposition Parliamentarians without his, Paulson's, express prior approval.
3. Nigel Wright made it plain around Ottawa that, if charged, he would not lie to protect Stephen Harper.
4. If Wright was charged it would also snare others, like former chief counsel Perrin, and would, in turn, raise some very difficult questions about Harper himself. Likewise senior Tory senators could come into the crosshairs - Tkachuk, Stewart-0lsen and, perhaps, LeBreton.
5. Taking Wright off the hook takes everyone else off the hook, including Duffy. If the payment from Wright was not a criminal act then receiving the money by Duffy was not a crime either. Duffy, however, remains vulnerable to lesser charges.
6. A cynical man could be excused for suspecting that Paulson pulled all the strings on this one. Remember that the initial investigator's report stated that a prosecutable crime had been committed. Then go back to the outset when Paulson's e-mail clamped the lid tightly on this scandal. And notice how the act of corrupting the Senate quietly passed into oblivion.
It will be fascinating to see if Duffy is ever charged with anything. He still has well-connected friends in high places and it's claimed Ol' Duff knows where the bodies are buried.
that was an interesting read. short and sweet.
Now of course we don't really know why Nigel gave "chubby" the money, except to "help him out financially". I guess as long as it wasn't given to him to keep quiet, its just not a bribe. Its a loan, except he didn't have to pay it back, so its more like a gift, you know.
Its like if I loan you $90K its o.k. Cathy. You need the money and I just won the lottery. O.K. you don't have to pay it back because you don't have that kind of money, so its a gift. But if I gave you the money because I stole the lottery ticket or rigged the lottery or because you knew I had done something wrong and I paid you to keep your mouth shut, then its bribery.
So Cathy, if I ever win the lottery, big time, I'll send you a cheque just because I really liked this article. If you saw me run my car over one of my exs or around the same time, well its still a gift.
By 10:43 pm, at
Love these explanations. There is more to the Wright story but I don't think we will be finding out what it is very soon, if ever.