<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, November 11, 2016

And I missed the fall, too 

Well, I thought at the end of August that I was recovering but instead I just kept on getting sicker and sicker. Finally I went into hospital the third week of September, followed by immediate surgery to begin to deal with an obstructed bowel, followed by a seven-week hospital recovery. Barely eating for three months resulted in a complete depletion of the protein in my body so following the surgery I could barely stand up, much less walk or do stairs -- and we live in a four-level split. So I needed extensive physio and lots and lots of nutrition before I could come home. I finally managed to get home last week. Provided nothing else goes wrong, I am looking toward likely two more surgeries in the next year, before this trouble is behind me (so to speak!)
All in all, I would sum it up as a miserable experience, mitigated only by the love of my family -- they all faithfully visited almost every day, in spite of the cost of hospital parking!
And they brought me Tim Hortons.
One other silver lining -- I lost 70 pounds! Maybe I could write a book on how to lose weight. It would be a short one: 1. Get seriously ill 2. Don't eat for three months. 3. Lose weight! -- however, somehow I don't think it will be a best seller!
So hopefully, I will be able to get back to blogging now. And given the Trump election (gag!) I have a feeling that there will be lots to blog about over the next while.


Recommend this Post at Progressive Bloggers | 8 comments

8 Comments:

rest up, get well and try boost when u get tired of the ensure. you have been missed.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:47 pm  

Welcome back!

By Blogger MikeAdamson, at 3:51 pm  

Thanks so much for the comments -- I so much appreciate them.

By Blogger Cathie from Canada, at 9:28 pm  

Cathy,

Have been a long-time reader and really appreciate your blog. Take your time resting up.

Have been through similar surgery and one thing I found is that there is more to the hunger impulse than just being hungry or not. There is actually an impulse, I found, that is actually "anti-hunger." It is just impossible to eat. The way I dealt with it was "counting bites" and tv made it easier. Would sit down with a piece of chicken and at every commercial I would force myself to eat three bites until the food was gone.

Part of the problem can be that your taste buds might be affected from prolonged low sodium levels. Pretzels are good to settle the stomach, I found, and are easy enough to digest on a low residue diet.

Good luck,

A well-wisher from the East Coast.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:01 am  

Thanks very much for the information. One of the best things about my recovery is that my appetite has mostly returned, though my capacity isn't quite there yet.

By Blogger Cathie from Canada, at 12:25 pm  

Amazing Annapurna Base Camp Trek
, Everest Base Camp Trek
and Trekking in Nepal.

By Blogger Anjan Tamang, at 5:10 am  

Special Trekking route in Nepal as Upper Mustang Trek,
Manaslu circuit trek,
Manaslu Tsum valley trek in Nepal.

By Blogger Anjan Tamang, at 5:12 am  

Please get well soon. We need your voice to bring us info and enlightenment. All the best!

By Blogger astrom47, at 12:50 am  

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Email me!