Sunday, September 06, 2026

Sunday Funday: Blue Jays make it into the Wild Card! Plus Interesting posts, Funny posts, Getting Old(er), Carney Hat-Trick, TrumpWatch, Animal Crackers


Hooray for the Blue Jays winning their way into the Wild Card!
It was just three weeks ago that we realized it was still possible for the Blue Jays to reach the post-season through a Wild Card spot this year.
On Saturday, they did it!

Let’s go Blue Jays , 19 games left. Just gotta get into the playoffs ,then anything goes

[image or embed]

— Jared Benson (@jb-rider-fan.bsky.social) September 5, 2026 at 9:10 PM



They have to keep on winning to keep their spot.
View on Threads


Interesting posts
Our solar system in the galaxy
View on Threads

And at a microscopic level
View on Threads

A month ago, I was horrified at the practice of destroying old books just so their pages could be used to train AI. Seeing this today soothed my soul

Charlotte Wainwright restoring and saving old/ancient books. www.wainwrightbookbinding.com

[image or embed]

— Dan (@arepublic86.bsky.social) September 5, 2026 at 11:44 AM

I thought this was interesting too

The same way that most of Africa skipped building a fixed line telephone system by going straight to mobile, they’re skipping building a full electricity grid by installing local solar

[image or embed]

— David Branch (@dbranch9.bsky.social) August 30, 2026 at 8:09 PM
Poet Wendell Berry died this week
View on Threads

View on Threads

View on Threads

View on Threads

Meet Constable Sukhvinder Singh Sunger:
After this year's Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo, everyone is talking about Vancouver police retired constable Sukhvinder Singh Sunger, and deservedly so:


View on Threads


So delighted that my dear friend Constable Sukhvinder Singh Sunger of the Vancouver Police Department has made global headlines for a historic appearance at the prestigious Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo in Scotland. Sukhvinder became the first turbaned Sikh Drum Major to lead the Vancouver Police Pipe Band. In 2021, Constable Sukhvinder and I made this video together in Victoria, BC. I am excited to share that joyful moment.

- Gurdeep Pandher

Read on Substack
View on Threads


Funny posts


View on Threads

- Phil O'Reilly (aka Qntmchckn)

Read on Substack

I try to buy stock in businesses that are so wonderful that an idiot can run them. Because sooner or later, one will. --Warren Buffett

- KGB Report by Kevin G. Barkes

Read on Substack

- Joel J Miller

Read on Substack
View on Threads

View on Threads

Not sure what Werner Herzog has against speaking French...

I love how Werner Herzog is ALWAYS like this:

[image or embed]

— Pile Of Garbage (@pileofgarbage.net) September 1, 2026 at 2:56 AM

Some AI anecdotes:



A decade ago, people used to drive into the desert when their GPS told them to. Now its AI that is leading people astray:

futurism.com/artificial-i...

[image or embed]

— dredecopp.bsky.social (@dredecopp.bsky.social) September 5, 2026 at 6:22 PM


Getting Old(er)

I'm at the age where an "all-nighter" just means I didn't have to get up to pee.

- The Mouthy Renegade Writer

Read on Substack

The old are so wise!

- Phil O'Reilly (aka Qntmchckn)

Read on Substack
View on Threads

View on Threads

Don’t make me ask a second time.

- Phil O'Reilly (aka Qntmchckn)

Read on Substack


Carney Hat Trick - good posts about our PM

Trump fucked up the entire world! The only good piece about it all is that Canada had PMMark Carney come forward to serve, saved us from Pierre Poilievre, saved Canada’s sovereignty, reduced our dependence on the crazy whims of a deranged president of the USA through major trade deals (actual deals Donnie), saved us from “deals” signed in pencil! Oh - I guess that’s five good things. FIVE! HMMMM!

- Patricia Poohkay

Read on Substack

View on Threads

This is how Canadians measure the passage of time: “The Leafs would win the Cup. That’s a long time ago.”

[image or embed]

— /r/Habs (@habsonreddit.bsky.social) September 3, 2026 at 12:09 PM
View on Threads


TrumpWatch - posts about the world's most anticipated event
View on Threads

I'm guessing the Urinating Two-Step will also be popular. Thanks for the cartoon, Benjamin Slyngstad (@slyngstad.bsky.social)

[image or embed]

— Bob Geiger (@bobgeiger.bsky.social) September 2, 2026 at 9:44 AM

View on Threads

On a side note, I'm not sure what possessed Trump to dye his hair brown.

Trump is trying to imitate Justin Trudeau's haircut. Maybe that jealousy is what's driving the irrational behavior toward Canada. It's too similar not to be the case--it's just like when he put on the black coat and maroon scarf to imitate Mamdani.

[image or embed]

— Jeff Nall (@jeffmnall.bsky.social) September 6, 2026 at 1:46 AM
I expect MAGA won't like it - he is no longer their "fair-haired boy"!

Animal Crackers
View on Threads

View on Threads

I was today years old when I found out a group of otters on land is called a romp
View on Threads

View on Threads

View on Threads


View on Threads

View on Threads

View on Threads

Goldens - we'll save you, Dad!
View on Threads

View on Threads

Keep them busy….

[image or embed]

— I 💙 Dogs (@dogs100.bsky.social) September 4, 2026 at 6:15 PM

In the local park where I’m currently walking, a dog has just grabbed a random person’s umbrella and run off with it. The umbrella owner, the dog’s owners and a load of kids have given chase, and it’s the closest I’ll get to seeing a dog with a string of sausages being chased by a butcher isn’t it?

— Andy Lewis (@andylewis.bsky.social) September 2, 2026 at 8:54 AM

2 comments:

Northern PoV said...

Excellent post Cathie.
"The same way that most of Africa skipped building a fixed line telephone system by going straight to mobile, they’re skipping building a full electricity grid by installing local solar"
The article this links to has a follow up. These are all Chinese solar panels. Also to note from elsewhere that China is building solar-panel AND electric-motorbike factories in Africa.
All of this while NATO baits Putin and tRump plays hegemon.
..........................................................
Loved the bit about our Canadian Sikh bagpiper. .... Just yesterday I was walking through 'Taiwan Fest' in downtown Vancouver hearing a lovely choir and spotted "Scottish Dancing" scheduled for later. Diversity is strength!

Cathie from Canada said...

Yes I thought it was impressive. The world is moving so quickly to escape from "the west" isn't it