<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, July 12, 2013

End of the game 

When I read Ender's Game I enjoyed it and looked forward to reading more.
Then I found out how virulently anti-gay Orson Scott Card is, and how extensively he worked against gay marriage.
So I just can't read anything else he has written, because it only reminds me of his mean-spirited bigotry.  I guess many others feel the same way -- there's a boycott being organized of the upcoming Ender's Game film.
So now Card is whining about how everybody should demonstrate how fair they are by being tolerant of his intolerance.  The internet is laughing at him.

Recommend this Post at Progressive Bloggers | 4 comments

4 Comments:

Heh, I came upon the same circumstances, though I got a lot farther along than you did - I read all six books in the series related to that universe, at least the ones that I knew of anyways (there may be more now).

Its a shame because his books are very good, especially Ender's Shadow, the series spin-off of a sorts that followed Bean. Its actually much better, IMO, given that it deals with near-future situations rather than Ender's story, which goes way out there.

But, yeah, I'll be forgoing the movie as well. I've done enough to support his bigotry already, unintentional as it was. I don't want to give him more money in his pocket if I can help it.

By Blogger Kyle H., at 12:26 am  

Thanks for your comment -- I'm sorry that I couldn't read that far into the series.

By Blogger CathiefromCanada, at 12:42 am  

I have read probably about 70% of the sci-fi, fantasy and alternate history that Scott Orsen Card has written,

Enders Game and its sequel, Speaker for the Dead are well worth reading, but,....

As time went on, the storylines grew slow, and weird. same with his fantasy, same with his alternate history.

By the late 90's he was suffering from Millerism. Having some money and assets moved him from a social democrat to a Randian Libertarian. By 2002 he was a far right Bush supporter, and since then he has moved into Tea Bagger Wingnut.

Buy Speaker for the Dead from a used book store, that way he gets no money, and Enders Game, will suck as a movie compared to the book.

By Blogger Enid, at 10:23 pm  

How is that anyone is surprised by his views against homosexual acts and gay marriage? He has been a practising Mormon his whole life, graduating from BYU. People should learn to use the internet.

By Blogger zeppo, at 12:01 pm  

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Email me!