<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Things I hate* 

Well, Saskboy, I tried.
Saskboy had a post about my town of Saskatoon, so of course I tried to leave a comment. Then his website wouldn't accept my login or maybe I didn't have an account or maybe I wasn't using the right password for that particular account or something, I don't know...
So, after three attempts, I gave up -- it wasn't that important a comment anyway, so sorry, Saskboy!
There are a number of great websites I can never comment on because of problems like this -- POGGE is another one that I have tried and failed several times to comment on, often enough that I don't even try anymore.
I guess it's all the fault of spam, isn't it. In the good old days, we were all just one big happy family and everyone could just comment anywhere we liked. And then too many spammers started leaving irrelevant sales pitches in comments sections of blogs, and the blogs fought back by requiring log-ins, and mystery word squiggles, and so much for "community" ....

*First in what I expect will be a series, considering how crotchety I am getting.

Recommend this Post at Progressive Bloggers | 9 comments

9 Comments:

I concur. Looking forward to a crotchety series. :)

By Blogger Dave, at 11:43 am  

Same boat here. My new crotchety thing is that I appear to have lost my memory. I can't seem to remember passwords at all.

By Blogger karen, at 12:49 pm  

@Karen. Post it notes.

Cathie, same here. I read them regularly, but have given up on commenting.

By Anonymous Kim, at 3:10 pm  

My biggest peeve are some of the captchas that I can never understand. I guess I'm as dumb as the robots they are trying to filter out. Recently I've noticed numbers like this one that are much easier to decipher

By Blogger rww, at 3:25 pm  

And the trouble is that, when it is our own blog, we don't run into this trouble because our own blog "knows" us and so we never realize how many others are being turfed out into the cold...

By Blogger CathiefromCanada, at 8:28 pm  

The pogge issue is a long standing one If still interested delete cookies then re-register Should work from then on.

By Blogger Kev, at 11:13 pm  

Also an issue with captcha in blogger I've had comments disappear I was informed thee same was happening at my place as well

I've disabled the feature So far so good spam wise Blogger's filter has picked off the few attempts I've seen so far

By Blogger Kev, at 11:16 pm  

Could be worse. (Disclaimer: I'm one of the Pogge people, but I don't run the website or have a real opinion one way or another about how pogge does it)

Anyway, what really rots my socks is the increasing number of places using Facebook-based commenting. So like I have to be on Facebook to comment? Screw them!

I know one guy who just has a checkbox with a thing saying "Check this box to confirm you are not a bot". I believe it works pretty well simply because it's not the same as most other schemes so there's nothing built to get past it . . .

By Blogger Purple library guy, at 2:40 am  

Thanks everyone, i will try these

By Blogger CathiefromCanada, at 12:35 pm  

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Email me!