Friday, March 25, 2005

Rage, rage against the dying of the light

Res Ipsa Loquitur.....
Ross, great piece.
Its about Hunter Thompson and Billmon and the whole damn thing.
I wish Hunter Thompson hadn't done it. But I am glad that Billmon is back. The world needs voices of sanity and truth, now more than ever - do not go gentle into that good night, rage rage against the dying of the light.
I have revised that myself to say "blog, blog against the dying of the light" and to use it as the slogan for my blog. Now partly thats just a joke, but partly I really believe it.
When you look at the history of great battles, it often seems that one of the significant factors for the winners was an unexpectedly better technology.
In the battle against the fascism of the Bush administration I believe that blogs may play a decisive role.
Maybe I am deluded because of my own blog experience, when I discovered Liberal Oasis in the fall of 2002 and felt it truly was an oasis in a world of insanity, when Bush was marching inextolerably toward a pointless, needless war with Iraq and the dems lost congress in the midterms and the media acted like the anti-war movement did not exist.
But just as the discovery of Liberal Oasis allowed this middle-aged woman from Saskatchewan to connect with like-minded people all across the continent and even around the world, so do the on-line communities created by Kos and Atrios and RossK and Frog, and Robert and Pogge and Canadian Cynic and all of us, allow unforeseen connections and synergies which the forces of darkness did not anticipate and have not planned for and cannot stop.
And maybe, together in cyberspace, we will prevail.

No comments: