Thursday, May 14, 2009

When Conservatives attack

The take-away from the new Tory attack ads seems to be the line that Tory times are tough times -- I wouldn't think this was what the Conservatives actually wanted us to remember.
It is interesting reading some of the comments to the Radwanski column in the Globe and Mail:
I'd rather be spared the sandbox gamesmanship and get on with managing the economy . . .
I think the Conservatives have to come to grips with that fact that most Canadians don't consider a person with Ivy league credentials a bad thing. Especially when it comes to running the country . . .
I am starting to wonder if I am acceptable as a Canadian. I was born elsewhere and have been a Canadian for many years. But my time outside the country could be construed as anti-Canadian . . .
As a former mentor and advisor for Stephen Harper, Mulroney is running the best attack ads anyone could on the Conservatives, showing Canadians what Conservatism is all about . . .
I think Canadians expect more from their Prime Minister and their government than small minded, mean spirited attacks against the opposition . . .
Harper spends money on attack ads while the unemployed wait for EI and Canada waits for infrastructure money . . .
On the plus side, it's exactly this kind of divisive, negative, and reactionary behaviour during the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression that has helped reduce the Republicans south of the border to a marginal entity on the political scene. Let's hope that pattern continues with our bully conservatives.

No comments: