Sunday, September 13, 2026

Sunday Funday: Documenting the Decline and Fall, plus Interesting Posts, Funny Posts, Getting Old(er), Carney Hat-Trick, TrumpWatch, and Animal Crackers


Finally its the weekend after a long week, so its time to relax....Oops, feels like summer's over already



Documenting the Decline and Fall 
People are giving up on the United States now:
View on Threads


Trump went to Ireland and it did not go well. I think Carney has demonstrated to the rest of the world that Trump does not have to be respected. Then again, King Charles also showed the way with that bell gift to Trump during his royal visit in April.
View on Threads

View on Threads

View on Threads

View on Threads

View on Threads


Interesting posts
One of my minor claims to fame is that I actually saw Dave Brubeck once, when he was playing in an Italian restaurant in Toronto and I was in town for a conference. It was great
View on Threads

I never thought Lightfoot could be creepy
View on Threads

Oddball History
View on Threads

View on Threads

View on Threads

Academia Time

- KGB Report by Kevin G. Barkes

Read on Substack

Apropos of nothing Adjectives in English absolutely have to be in this order: opinion-size-age-shape-colour-origin-material-purpose Noun So you can have a: lovely little old rectangular green French silver whittling knife But if you mess with that word order in the slightest you'll sound like a maniac. The Elements of Eolquence by Mark Forsyth

- Glen Lancaster 🇨🇦

Read on Substack

This is fun - I had never heard some of these:

Maybe entertaining to those of you in or from North America: https://mydialect.us/quiz-standard.html I’m in Canada, and my results were 54% MA, I guess close enough geographically? Friends thus far got exactly where they’re from - it’s a thorough 60 questions, and seems quite accurate I now know, too, that what we call the night before Halloween (Mat Night) is fairly unique to anglophone Quebec; people stole doormats, hence the name. Mat Night wasn’t an option on the quiz for the question about what I call the night before Halloween, so I went down a rabbit hole. TIL! The question that probably surprised me the most was what we in Montreal call a sunshower. Some of those answers are … yikes.

- Jodi Ettenberg

Read on Substack


Funny posts

I love Josh Johnson. Here he takes on Trump’s weird renaming of Lake Ontario and how quickly rich oligarchs bent a knee and complied. Very sharp, and very funny

- Paul T Shattuck, MSW, PhD

Read on Substack

I normally try to avoid sad posts but I felt this one!

- Michael Woudenberg

Read on Substack

View on Threads



[image or embed]

— WholesomeMemes (@wholesomememe.bsky.social) September 6, 2026 at 3:30 PM

That would probably help create real change in the world. 😂

- The Mouthy Renegade Writer

Read on Substack






Carney Hat Trick - posts about our PM
Here's Carney with Forever Canadian movement leader Thomas Lukaszuk
View on Threads


TrumpWatch - lots of posts this week about the world's most anticipated event
View on Threads

View on Threads

View on Threads

I bought a bell so that when It Happens I can go out on my front porch and let everyone in a quarter-mile radius know about it.

[image or embed]

— Pop-up Leftist Cwab Depot (@fancycwabs.bsky.social) September 6, 2026 at 12:34 PM

- Canada Resists

Read on Substack


Animal Crackers
"He will kill you and we won't help"
View on Threads

- KGB Report by Kevin G. Barkes

Read on Substack

If you love goats, you’ll love this one ☺️ share it someone who loves baby goats 🐐 https://raisini.substack.com/p/our-existence-is-a-blip

- RAISINI

Read on Substack



[image or embed]

— WholesomeMemes (@wholesomememe.bsky.social) September 7, 2026 at 7:30 AM

And this is why I must have a donkey

[image or embed]

— Democrat Cats (@democratcats.bsky.social) September 8, 2026 at 6:09 PM

LOL. Adorable footage. I appreciate the way mum admonishes the child. 😂

- René Volpi

Read on Substack

"Hig will sit on my steps and howl until I open the door and acknowledge him. Also, Hig is not my dog."...

[image or embed]

— FunnyVia (@funnyvia.com) September 7, 2026 at 5:59 PM

Scientists have discovered a black hole that absorbs all food falling to the floor

- Science Is Fun

Read on Substack
View on Threads

- KGB Report by Kevin G. Barkes

Read on Substack

3 comments:

Cap said...

Ireland put in a good effort, but nobody beats Justin Trudeau's gift to Trump on their first meeting: a framed photo from the National Archives of Grandpa Trump's hotel and brothel in the Yukon.

Northern PoV said...

Gordon Lightfoot had a creepy side (like most of us).
https://norselandsrock.com/sundown-gordon-lightfoot/

missing from this linked-article was the additional fact that Gordon and Cathy were living in a downtown Toronto midrise that also housed other friends and musicians - and yes it had a backstairs that they used to visit one another.

Northern PoV said...

If that bit on Han van Meegeren caught your interest, then you should see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Vermeer