Friday, September 11, 2026

Today's News: Canadian military restructure & allies, Poilievre boots it, doom and gloom for America, 9/11 memories, Trade War update, and Trudeau's latest


Here are some of today's news -- this isn't everything, of course, like I'm not including anything on the AI sky-is-falling scare that I don't understand anyway - but I've gathered up some interesting posts.

Canada military restructure and alliances

#Ottawa - The #Canadian military officially restructured a section of the army on Thursday to serve as its main fighting force in a major war, marking the latest in an ongoing drive to prepare for large-scale combat including the defence of #Canada itself πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ #Cdnmilitary share.google/NfTvsTEzk6Ty...

[image or embed]

— StacesCases2 πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ πŸ“Ž (@stacescases2.bsky.social) September 11, 2026 at 12:07 AM

The CBC reports:
..."This is a big change," Maj.-Gen. Wade Rutland, commander of the new 1st Canadian Division, said in an interview.
"This is not an exercise in restructuring the deck chairs. We're doing this in order to be more agile, more lethal, more relevant to defend Canada."
Rutland said the threat environment has changed and the world is returning to large-scale combat operations with hundreds of thousands of soldiers, like the ones in Ukraine.
"We realized that we needed to stand up what we call a war fighting division, which will bring together thousands of troops able to integrate air, cyber, space effects and actually contribute as a really trusted ally into that likely future fight," he said.
It's part of a series of structural changes ordered by Lt.-Gen. Michael Wright, who laid out his plan to modernize the army in a 2025 document titled Inflection Point.
Alongside the manoeuvre division, the army is setting up a support division, which will be run out of Kingston, Ont.
The army also is standing up a "defence of Canada" division based out of Montreal, to be known as the 2nd Canadian Division. It's made up largely of part-time soldiers and will focus on national emergencies and domestic defence....
I'm looking forward to reporting from Black Cloud Six and Wesley Wark to analyze these changes.



[image or embed]

— Chris H-B@chrish-b.bsky.social (@chrish-b.bsky.social) September 10, 2026 at 10:11 PM

Prime Minister Mark Carney πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ and President Volodymyr Zelenskyy πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦ signed an agreement to create a long-term (100 years!) strategic and political partnership that spans across defence and security, trade and investment as well as energy and critical minerals. #Canada #Ukraine shrlnk.ca/s/0Wis842Z

[image or embed]

— Sharry Wilson πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ (@sharryw.bsky.social) September 10, 2026 at 8:16 PM

The new Ukraine agreement also foreshadows the alliance Carney is planning with Europe
View on Threads

View on Threads


Poilievre boots it
Pierre Poilievre finally speaking up, and it sounds like he is continuing his foot-in-mouth habit.
Poilievre was doing the US media rounds on Thursday. I was reading some praise for him for saying he wasn't going to criticize Carney - but I hadn't realized the context:

🀬🀬🀬🀬 🀬 This is the polar opposite of leadership at a time when our country πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ is in a fight for its sovereignty! Pierre Poilievre casts doubt on Team Canada while on USA media (the aggressor in the trade war). It’s disgusting. I have media trained many politicians. This was deliberate. I’ll have much to say on tomorrow’s OShow about this selfserving cowardice! No wonder he was never PM.

- Laura Babcock

Read on Substack

View on Threads

View on Threads


Doom and gloom for America
View on Threads

View on Threads

View on Threads

View on Threads


9/11 memories
"Mom, there's going to be a war."
This is what our son said to me as we watched TV on that September evening, and that's when I realized how much our world had changed.
Friday is the 25th anniversary of 9/11. And he was right, there have been several wars in this last quarter-century, plus refugee crises in Europe as desperate families tried to escape.
After Trump's ridiculous stolen valour boast earlier this week about being carried out of the rubble by two big strong firemen, I'm seeing a lot of stories online about what actually did happen to people that day.

You know who actually did show up at Ground Zero? Canadian emergency rescue crews.

— Andrew Weinstein (@andrewjweinstein.com) September 8, 2026 at 5:12 PM
There will also be a special ceremony on Friday at Gander Nfld, which fed and cared for thousands of airline passengers for days.

One of my own memories: later in that week as I was driving to work on the day they re-started air travel.  I saw an Air Canada plane flying east over the highway, into the morning sun.  We still didn't really know who was to blame for 9/11 and we still wondered whether there might be a risk of more hijackings. So when I saw that beautiful shining plane in the air, I was overcome with the feeling that I should pull over my car and get out and salute the courage of that flight crew and the passengers who were determined to take their lives back.
And I know how this guy feels too
View on Threads

Here are some 9/11 stories I didn't know:
 


View on Threads

View on Threads

I did know about these wonderful dogs, but here are some more details
View on Threads

View on Threads


Today's Trade War Update - this will be a regular feature as I find posts and stories 
View on Threads

View on Threads

And on a side note, here's Justin Trudeau's latest good news:
View on Threads

5 comments:

Northern PoV said...

"Carney says Canada will need millions of drones"

Good on him.
Proof, Cathie, PROOF that your blog and it's comments section are widely read and soberly heeded. ;-)

Purple library guy said...

Carney seems to have some handle on what we need, militarily. I'm not so sure the Canadian military brass get it. A lot of them seem to still be thinking like this is just something we're doing for a moment while the overall integration with the US military continues. So for instance, from that piece near the top:

"We realized that we needed to stand up what we call a war fighting division, which will bring together thousands of troops able to integrate air, cyber, space effects and actually contribute as a really trusted ally into that likely future fight," he said.

Wait, ally? Whose ally? Which "likely future fight" are you talking about here? Kind of sounds like more "stooges of the US" missions overseas. Meanwhile, the "defence of Canada" division is going to be "made up largely of part-time soldiers and will focus on national emergencies and domestic defence....". Oh, so actual defence of Canada, you know, the stuff you'd think a "Canadian Armed Forces" would be for, gets some glorified Reservists. I'm so reassured!

Cathie from Canada said...

Hey, NPoV, good catch!

Cathie from Canada said...

Yes, PLG, its subtle but its there, isn't it.
I'm hopeful this type of knee-jerk "pro-Americanism" will be discussed by Black Cloud Six and Wesley Wark, who have talked before about this kind of thinking in the CAF.

Cap said...

Maj.-Gen. Wade Rutland sounds like he's absorbed the rantings of Pete Hegseth - "more agile, more lethal," "a war fighting division." What's next, testosterone checks?

I note as well that both the First Canadian Division and the Second are headquartered in provinces threatening to separate. Is that where we're expecting large-scale combat operations?