Thursday, February 10, 2022

I'm back!

Sorry for the long hiatus -- I took a temporary job in the fall and it kept me pretty busy but its over now and I'm glad to get back to following Canadian politics again. 
Though, pretty scary these days, isn't it? 
I think it is important for me now to blog about the Ottawa Occupation like I did about the summer election campaign, to try to assemble and keep track of the most important events and threads as they occur day to day. As well, I urge everyone to follow Montreal Simon and Dale Smith and Northern Reflections and Accidental Deliberations and Saskboy and Gazetteer and Canadian Cynic and Rev. Paperboy as they keep on blogging too.
We wlll get through this together.

Here's the stuff I gathered today:
Over the last three weeks, as the trucker convoy assembled, drove, occupied Ottawa, and then started blocking border crossings, I have gone through the usual Canadian reactions -- disbelief, denial, incredulity, disgust, ridicule, and now, finally, more than a little fear. 
I don't know how this will work out for our country, and I can't see a smooth path to ending what these right-wing hysterics have started. 
One thing that has gradually become clear to me, though, is that this is much more serious than I believed at first. 
While the tweet above is funny, what seems to be happening in Canada now is no laughing matter. Its more than anger, though -- it seems to be an organized campaign to undermine Trudeau and the Liberal government, to force resignation and replacement with autocracy. There seem to be some dark forces involved here, too. 
Myself, I am worried that the intention is to undermine Trudeau at a time in the world when NATO needs Canada more than ever, to withstand what I expect will be a war of aggression by Russia against the Ukraine.
But at least every day now, the people of Ottawa are fighting back, as only Canadians can - with a gay cowboy anthem and a #RamRanchResistance hashtag:
Out of frustration, leftists in Canada started trolling Zello channels by blasting the song “Ram Ranch,” both as a play on the Dodge Ram insignia of many of the trucks downtown and as a subversion of the channel’s patriotism (the artist who recorded “Ram Ranch,” Grant MacDonald, is Canadian). “It’s a deeply conservative belief system infiltrating our city,” says Katarina. “And when we played this song to jam their communication, they’d get extremely angry because it’s an explicit and LGBTQ-friendly song.”
The Ram Ranch Resistance website is here: https://ram-ranch.ca/ 
And there's this one now, too:

No comments: