Sunday, March 20, 2022

Today's News: An indominable spirit

Marcus Yam, LA Times

The Ukraine spirit is indominable - here's a photo by Marcus Yam, LA Times, of a soldier saluting his fellows near Kyiv.
Here's a fascinating BBC interview with a Canadian soldier about the kind of fighting the Ukraine army has been trained for -"what shines through is the will and determination and strength" of the Ukraine soldier: I'm happy to see this mother and baby safe now at a hospital in Kyiv, though her haunted eyes get to me:
I was looking up posts on the Mariupol Theatre tragedy today, and I found some bizarre "Mariupol-denial" stories floating around. 
I guess Russia's deliberate targeting of a marked shelter full of women and children was too much for even the most devoted Putin-supporter to stomach. So now there is a determined effort to deny it happened, to deflect it on to Ukraine, to turn the destruction into a lie, to claim the theatre was maybe blown up by retreating Ukraine soldiers or maybe didn't have any victims inside at all, that it was all crisis actors -- I'm not going to insert any of these tweets here, but I imagine we're going to be seeing lots more of these types of disgusting denial stories as Russian war crimes in Ukraine keep on happening.
By the way, here is something I have noticed:  while I am just as interested in what is happening in the Russia Ukraine War as I ever was, Twitter is moving on. 
The updates and news from Ukraine are getting more difficult to find as other events get tweeted about more often. So I have started my own list, My Russia Ukraine War List as a shorter reference of people whose tweets about the war I find to be the most useful or on point. I also follow other lists too: The Hoarse Whisperer's list Ukraine Coverage, and Josh Marshall's lists 2202 Ukraine Crisis and Ukraine Military Analysts. So these may be useful if you are also wanting more coverage.
I also follow Markos' posts at Daily Kos. Here's what he reports this afternoon:
We know that Ukraine has pushed Russian forces away from Mykolaiv in Southern Ukraine, and halted any hope Russia has of capturing the grand city of Odesa anytime soon. We also have seen confirmed that they’ve pushed out to Posad-Pokrovske, half the distance from Mykolaiv to Kherson, the largest Ukrainian city currently under Russian control. And that’s where things get murky. Because either Ukraine has pushed east and has opened up a 2-prong approach into Kherson, or all they’ve managed to do is create a little breathing room around Mykolaiv.
I get the impression it will take some time, maybe several more days, before anyone can determine whether Ukraine is actually "winning" this war, or just "not losing", and where this is happening. Rob Lee's thread today: Here's some other news: Here's something else I have noticed too: the vast difference between what the New York Times is reporting about this war, and what everyone else is reporting. If you read only the New York Times, it sounds like Russia is winning. But just about nobody else thinks so. Here's an interesting discussion about this: And back on this side of the pond: Bob Rae is doing Canada proud at the United Nations. Today he writes: Like an ancient dinosaur rising from a swamp, Newt Gingrich is trying to rear his ugly head again: And finally, we've all seen way too much of the instant geopolitical experts gracing us with their opinions, so I found this thread hilarious -- check it out:

No comments: