Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Today's news: Just a few items tonight

 

Photo from this tweet.
I wasn't feeling very well today -- I did my first rapid test, luckily negative (though then I read this, so we'll see) -- but for safety's sake I decided not to go out and so I just got some extra rest, so I didn't get much reading done. 
But here's a few interesting items:
From Ukraine: Ukraine has undermined Russian air superiority and this is still crucial for the fight: There were some awful reports today of a chemical weapons attack in Maruipol, which hasn't yet been confirmed. But here's what Twitter expects: Here is an incredible story - read the whole thread: The New York Times has a chilling story about Bucha: These war crimes have changed the attitudes of Ukraine allies too:
 ... the United States and NATO allies have been pointedly dropping the distinctions between "defensive" and "offensive" weaponry that sharply limited what sorts of equipment NATO countries were willing to send to Ukrainian forces....
... Russia's exposed war crimes are the reason the U.S. is now dropping its previous objections to offensive weapons delivery. 
Biden National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan used Meet the Press to link the two directly: “Given the nature of the battle, how things have shifted and adjusted and what the Russians have done, frankly, killing civilians, atrocities, war crimes, we have gotten to a place in the United States and across many members of the NATO alliance where the key question is: What does Ukraine need and how can we provide it to them?”
    From Russia: In other news: I haven't blogged lately about COVID because there's nothing really to say anymore -- except how dumb our whole society is acting because we think if we close our eyes and clap our heels together then we can just wish it away. But I did like this one: I had no idea that the Washington Post had a Squirrel Week and a squirrel photo contest, but I'm here for it: Here is a link to all the best squirrel photos. 

And did you know that Jill Biden has a White House cat?

No comments: